Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Body and Covering It Up

I just got this sweater today while on a shopping trip with my mom to buy some pants for the coming winter (first time I've gone pants shopping in three years but that's another story). While considerably more pronounced in these pictures, this sweater is, apparantley, rather see-through, a statement that I have never ventured towards. I think see-through tops are a very interesting idea. Clothes, just in their nature, are there to cover up, yet these shirts skirt this responsibility through showing what they conceal anyway. This strange paradox forces us to question what clothing is truly for. Is it to cover up our bodies despite the fact that we show more at the pool any given day during the summer? Does this mean that clothing in some way is connected to an ingrained sense of body shame? Or is clothing really just there because it is a societal norm that almost everybody follows like any other aspect of our society? A made up law that we follow out of the fear of not conforming? While these may be true for a great number of people, personally, I choose to clothe myself as a creative expression of who I am. Therefore, I suppose, I have absolutely no reason not to wear such a see-through sweater.
Hat: Vintage
Sweater: Forever21
Skirt: Target
Socks: Target
Shoes: Converse

No comments:

Post a Comment