Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

If it Clashes...

Today, when I walked into my french class, one of my friends immediately sprung the question of what one must do to wear a patterned shirt and patterned tie at the same time onto me. A surprisingly heated discussion insued. She thought that they would have to be similar and sedate for it to work, like a very lightly striped tie with a very lightly striped shirt. I am a firm believer for mixing patterns (especially where one is engulfed in the other like a tie is to a shirt) the two should be extremely different so that, in their clashing, a strange sense of "matching" emmerges. If the two patterns are too similar, it looks like a mistake, or perhaps a hint at dullness. With a blatant disregard for the accepted form of patterns paired with solids, I believe it looks clever and overtly artistic. Although, I might have just taken this stance since I happened to be wearing mismatched patterns today!
Dress: Forever21
Necklace: Etsy
Tights: Target
Shoes: Rocket Dog
PS sorry I didn't post my t-shirt reinvention yesterday. I hurt my toe pretty decently in dance yesterday and had to go get an x-ray which took several hours!
PSS I joined a club today that has similar day of the week restrictions for clothing as my dance class. It is called "Daughters of Athena" and it was basically invented to counteract a snooty club found by the guys in our class called "The League of Gentlemen" where they dress up in suits certain days of the week. I know they are planning to have "Fancy Fridays", which sounds wonderful and I will definitely participate, and "Toga Tuesdays" that will somehow be made to fit the dresscode, which I will probably not dress up for. I know it's rather a silly club but I like the idea of the expression of power through embrassing our feminity rather than in spite of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment